Parenthood is a wonderful stage but it also comes with its own share of responsibility. Parents often tell the children about the right things, if the children make mistakes then they get scolded as well. Sometimes parents might unknowingly say something wrong to their child which may have an undesirable impact on them. Let us find out four such sentences which should be avoided by parents when communicating with their child:
- Why Can’t you be more like your Brother/Sister?
This sentence carries a weightage of expectation which could be too much to handle for a child at such a young age. Parents can resort to provide shining examples of other kids or their siblings, but comparison can be harmful and this fact can dwell in the heart of the child for a long time. Parents need to understand that children develop at their own pace, setting an early expectation for them is not an ideal start for a child. As a result they can help them perform better by supporting them.
- Leave me alone
Children are always looking for their parent’s attention. There are times when they don’t get it enough due to which they would do something unwanted. Instead of upsetting them by saying a sentence like that, parents need to be considerate. Children understand the language of love and affection, they will understand if they are treated in that way.
- Wait for Daddy to Come home
Mums sometimes feel a bit difficult to manage children all by themselves. This is quite understandable and there is nothing wrong with that. She would then be waiting for the arrival of daddy to speak about the pending issues she needed to clear with the child. Instead of this if mothers choose to patiently resolve the children’s problem at the instant the child comes to her, it becomes a lot easier for the child.
- Be Quick
Parents sometimes can get impatient with their children, which can be understood. Commanding or ordering children only makes it difficult for them to do their tasks. Instead parents can try and make their children feel better by helping them understand as to how something needs to be done. Over the course of time when the child puts all this into practice, the pace catches up eventually.
“When kids focus on excuses, parents need to focus on responsibility.”
– James Lehman
Parents play an important role in grooming kids to become responsible citizens. When kids understand their responsibilities at home; they act responsibly everywhere they go. How can parents instill a sense of responsibility in kids?
- Taking baby steps: assign one task at a time. Tasks need to be age appropriate. Give simple instructions to your child and keep a tab. Gradually move on to multiple smaller and/ or complicated tasks.
- Fun makes tasks easy: set up a timer for your child to stack up the blocks and place it in the rack or pile the books from big to small before you finish counting till 10. Involving fun with the task makes it less mundane for the child.
- First things first: Make sure your child winds up first task before switching on to another. If your child fancies playing with blocks after a colouring activity, encourage him/ her to pack up his colours in the box and sheets in the folder. Let this be a routine for any activities (s)he does at any given point in time.
- Let them help you: Keeping the house clean or simple tasks like putting the clothes in the laundry basket, separating spoons and forks, sorting clothes as per the members of family, pairing up socks are easy chores that kids can help their parents do. In this way; parents and children can work in teams and spend precious time having fun & learning a thing or two about keeping the house spick and span.
- Encourage, allow them to make mistakes, appreciate: When kids accomplish simple tasks, praise them and thank them for helping. Slowly move on to assigning multiple tasks or a little complicated task. Allow them to make mistakes. Patiently rectify their mistakes by showing them how a certain thing is to be done. Of all appreciate them for their efforts. Kids feel valued and will be more willing to take up more tasks in future.
Responsible kids are likely to be more self-reliant and independent adults. So parents can start off by assigning trivial tasks that kids can accomplish by themselves.
It is imperative for parents to take into consideration some pointers before deciding which Preschool is ideal for their child. Some things which will help parents in making the right decision.
- Take suggestions from other parents in your friend circle who have kids. A first hand review always helps. Find out what they liked and what they didn’t about the preschools in your vicinity.
- Finding Preschool in your nearby area is always suggested, it is no point making your child unnecessarily travel to a long distance just because you would prefer a different Preschool. Consider and weigh your option based on your child’s convenience.
- Preschools are considered to be building the initial foundation of your child’s life and it is crucial to give them the proper educational start which will prepare them overall. Look for a Preschool that follows a particular model of education and has done quite well in execution.
- Find out favorable timings which is convenient for both you and your child.
- A good preschool also ensures their presence on the web with their website and these days their presence has extended to social media networks as well. Look for their consistence, uniformity across these platforms, it is usually a sign about the genuineness of the preschool. And a Facebook presence shows their interactive side. All these factors contribute in determining the best possible option.
- Visit the Center and have a look for yourself in terms of the infrastructure, their curriculum and understand their teaching methodology and once you are convinced from all the offerings, you decide for your child.
Being a parent can sometime be not as easy as it may seem. Especially for those who are new parents and have preschool children to look after. Now children are very well known for being quite demanding and any parent who has their sons and daughter now grown up would understand this phase very well. But, there is always a solution to combat such circumstances and also see some cuteness in action. By that we mean to say introducing something distinct to your child to dress-up for fun.
This is a very interesting activity parents can try out with their children at home. But to make this fun, the parent must also participate. One has to do is choose a particular theme of dressing up, it could be something that your child would enjoy. Let them be filled with surprises and their cute and curious expressions wonder as they try out a new experience of dressing up. Similar costumes can be taken into consideration. For example if the mother dresses as a fairy godmother, her baby daughter could be Cinderella. There doesn’t necessarily has to be an occasion to have some fun like this and it would make the child feel happy and excited to pose for the pictures
This could as well be an exercise for your child to learn ways to be photogenic. Though not necessary, but children would love to see a photo that makes them look distinct and good. So it is worth a try for new parents back home who must be wondering what new thing to try out with their children, well it’s time to cheer up and pick an outfit and simply dress-up. Let there be some cuteness and one for the family album memories.
Summers can be fun if we pay attention to the brighter and positive side of it. Especially for children it can indeed be the brightest days of their life quite literally. This has been the case in a lot of places across the world that in the season of heat, it becomes some kind of a task for parents to manage pre-school children. If we were to interpret the opening sentence mentioned above, things can be fun if the approach is such.
One of the most interesting ways to add some life to the summer fun is the activity of decorating your room. In this way the children can be engaged and they can have a good time surrounding themselves with different colors. Parents can liven up their homes with theme based decoration which includes drawings on various themes and displaying them as decorative pieces in their children’s room. The following themes can be considered:
Ask them to draw a different fairy tale character each day of the week. They can be guided about how they can make the images interesting with colors and their drawing style as per the theme requirement.
Superheroes are loved by every kid and this is a theme they would love to participate in. Let the kids get to fill colors on their favorite heroes. Try drawing a new superhero every day. Assemble their drawings and display their heroic activity on one of the walls of your home.
Disney has always catered to the cutest section of the masses as their target audience and they are nothing but kids. Recreate a famous scene from Disney cartoons which features Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy and many other characters.
Find your home coming back to life with these amazing theme drawings from the kids. So make the most of the summer time and indulge in activities that’ll make your preschool child smarter.
One of the anticipated moments of life is the time when newly parents get to experience the joy of their child. It has always been a tradition that the parent always ensures that their children get the best of everything , most importantly when it comes to early education. As the realization becomes widely evident parents these days are taking every measure in the book to begin their child’s early educational development. This is where the child must be introduced to a pre-school environment that prepares the child to begin their future days in school. Eventually leading to an overall performance and a visible of the child.
Pre-school approach has also witnessed a potential change over the years and it now focuses more on activities that the child can participate. These activities prepare the child from an overall perspective and give them an edge before they take their further steps. It is also important that in their early days of growth, the child builds a good rapport with their parents. It is very essential to have a good parent-child equation, it helps the child in shaping their attitude.
The preparatory list never ends, with changing time there is always an evolution of process and that is how it must be. But the basics will always be the same, the cute trials and tribulations a child must go through would make them well-prepared to face every kind of challenges in the upcoming future.
Eating healthy is an important part of a child’s development. To ensure a child is eating healthy, parents can try some simple snack that can be appealing to their taste buds. Try out these healthy homemade snacks for children.
- Yummy Smoothies– If making kids eat sliced fruits/vegetables is a task; try presenting a fruit/vegetable smoothie to them. Use vanilla yogurt, milk and sliced frozen fruits and blend these ingredients well.
- Mix multiple snacks– Create a combo of nuts, fruits, cereals (cornflakes, muesli) to make a healthy morning or evening cereal for the kids. Present a nutty fruit bowl at home to the kids. Nuts contain minerals such as magnesium, iron and zinc that are a must for children’s development.
- A Waffle Breakfast– Try out a whole grain waffle topped with fruit jelly or cheese. Whole grain waffles contain vitamins and iron. Switch from peanut butter on bread to waffles for a refreshing new, healthy snack for kids.
- Twist to Tomato- Tomato sauce with nachos is a way to sneak tomatoes in the kid’s diet. Other than a tomato sauce; toss a fruit/ vegetable bowl with a hint of lime to add a tangy taste to the snack. This healthy and delicious snack could be a great surprise to the kids.
- Fruit/ Veg Cheese Sticks- Fruit and cheese sticks or vegetable and cheese sticks could be included as a healthy evening snack. Slice cheese in interesting shapes like stars and moon, using cookie cutters to make the snacks look more appealing to the kids. Alternate the fruits/ vegetables and cheese on skewers and serve it to kids.
- Oatmeal cookies- Instead of buying high calorie cookies from the supermarket; try out baking low-fat oatmeal cookies at home. Add nuts, raisins or sliced fruits like apples and bananas and serve with a cup of hot milk. Oatmeal cookies would make a nutritious and tasty snack for the entire family.
- Quesadillas- left over rotis/ parathas can be stuffed with colourful bell peppers mixed with ketchup, cheese and/or baked beans, roasted and rolled as a wrap.
These are some interesting and unique ways in which parents can sneak nutritional and healthy food in the children’s diet.
Preschool children are known to throw a lot of tantrum. When they don’t get the attention, they would do something interesting in their own way to make sure parents are compelled to take a look. These attention grabbing methods if left unobserved may give way to a habit of throwing tantrums. There are some really interesting ways to prevent such habits from growing.
There are times when a child would be likely to misbehave because they don’t completely comprehend something. In such a condition, the parent needs to find out what the child did not understand and explaining it to them. Explain them in the language which they prefer, it could be with some funny example which they can relate to.
- Set the rules clear
Sometimes merely commanding or asking to do something in a right way may not exactly work well with the kids. That’s why there are rules which are step-by-step approach for an easier understanding. Children are able to have more clarity if things are presented to them in a simplified manner. As a result rules can be helpful.
- Work on Communication
Encourage the habit of good and healthy communication with the children. Introduce them to a disciplined way of speaking, and insist on speaking effectively with them. When the communication is clear it helps the children to be confident and open with their parents. Their expectations are understood and it helps parents to curb tantrums more efficiently.
This should be the last resort and only in case the above mentioned things do not work, this will definitely do the job. When children are being told that their favorite toy will be taken away when they don’t behave appropriately, the fear of losing the toy often makes them want to work on their behavior.
Children enjoy when they spend quality time with their parents. Though it can be understood that you might be occupied in a lot of things, it is not that difficult to spare time for your little ones. Here are some ways you can find that quality time:
- Morning Time
The time before your child gets ready to go to school can be a good time for you to interact with them. You can indulge in a very interesting conversation with your child to prepare him/her for school. This helps to cheer them up and grow closer to you.
Children feel good about the fact that the entire family comes together for meals. Healthy food along with a healthy discussion on a dining table is a good influence for children. This is another place where a decent quality time can be spent with them.
- Talk with them
By having a healthy conversation with kids, you can strengthen your bond with them. Once the kids are back from school; you can ask them about their day. What they learnt? How many friends they made? Spending quality time with kids can help you understand your kids better. A constant conversation between the parents and children helps to establish a relationship based on trust and understanding.
- Play Time
Play board games like Snakes and Ladder, Ludo or Carrom with your kids. Other interesting word games and picture games encourage learning and stimulate kids to think. The entire family could come together and play indoor or outdoor games to create some fond memories.
Bedtime stories are a few memorable moments cherished by children. You can spend a good time with your children by reading out stories to them. This is a good way for parents to bond with their children over a quality time.
Similarly, parents can find time and plan their day accordingly which helps them do their work as well as be with their children.
“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn” – Benjamin Franklin
Every child learns in different ways. Children must be given ample opportunities to stimulate their senses, to foster growth and development. Some children may learn while quietly playing with blocks; while some may even learn by lazily doodling and hand painting that could aid their memory as some may learn just by listening.
Following are the different ways children learn to learn:
Children are great imitators. So give them something great to imitate.
- Learning by seeing: Children learn a great deal by observing and imitate their parents, siblings and teachers. Engaging in activities with the child will pique their curiosity, keep him/ her engaged thereby helping the child come up with new ideas to do the same things.
“You learn something every day if you pay attention.” – Ray LeBond
- Learning through hearing: Encourage your child to listen patiently. Fun games or activities to make children focus on the sounds in the surrounding will help sharpen their listening skills. This will help them pay attention and grasp things better.
“They may forget what you said but they will not forget how you made them feel.” – Carl Beuchner
- Learning through touch: Children learn by doing. Allowing them to manipulate material around them, helps them learn better, gain a good sense of eye-hand coordination and express emotions through body.
Children must be given the freedom of learning the way they want to learn, as each child has different learning capabilities. As parents and teachers we need to understand which way your child is learning the best.
‘If a child cannot learn in the way we teach, we must teach in a way the child can learn.’